Common Core Standards
TIPS FOR PARENTS
The adoption of the Common Core Standards presents a unique opportunity for schools across the nation to transform teaching and learning, so that they effectively prepare all children for their future in college and the world of work. The goal of college and career readiness for all is at the core of this initiative, and it will take the collaborative efforts of schools, parents, and the broader community to make that goal a reality. Following are resources for parents to learn more about the Common Core Standards, as well as resources they can use to help their children meet these bold new expectations.
Common Core Standards Basics
(Download these helpful guides)
- Shifts for Students and Parents
- Common Core Standards Parents' Handbook (K-8)
Common Core Standards Links
The Council of the Great City Schools' parent roadmaps in English Language Arts/Literacy and iMathematics provide guidance to parents about what their children will be learning and how they can support that learning in grades K-8. These parent roadmaps for each grade level also provide three-year snapshots showing how selected standards progress from year to year so that students will be prepared for college and a career.
National PTA® created the guides for grades K-8 and 2 for grades 9-12 (one for English language arts/literacy and one for mathematics).
The Guide includes:
- Key items that children should be learning in English language arts and mathematics in each grade, once the standards are fully implemented.
- Activities that parents can do at home to support their child's learning.
- Methods for helping parents build stronger relationships with their child's teacher.
- Tips for planning for college and career (high school only)
Common Core Standards Video
Common Core Standards: Parent Resources for Download